Express Yourself Plus - Secondary 3
An out-of-the-box solution that gets your students learning!
The Activity Book
Based on the widely successful Express Yourself series, the Express Yourself Plus activity books develop all three ESL competencies as well as knowledge prescribed by the MEES Progression of Learning. Most importantly, the activity books feature themes, activities and an online platform that will get your students excited about communicating in English.
Each Activity Book contains:
- six theme-based units
- Grammar, Reading and Writing Workshops after each unit
- a Reference Section
Smart Start, the first activity of the unit, is designed to help students rediscover what they already know about the topic, usually through an oral interaction activity.
Every unit includes two reading tasks, a listening task, a watching task, multiple writing tasks, two grammar points and a substantial oral interaction task. The activities in the reading, listening and watching tasks are designed to develop students? use of strategies.
At the end of each unit, students are expected to reinvest and demonstrate their learning in a final writing or production task. The result is a concrete piece of work in which students apply their skills, knowledge and strategies.
Wrap-Up, the final page of the unit, focuses on vocabulary review and idiomatic expressions. In Test Your Smarts, students complete a fun activity such as a game that reviews vocabulary from the unit. Smart Expressions introduces two or three expressions related to the unit theme. Students practise these expressions in a short activity.
Each unit is followed by a Grammar, a Reading and a Writing Workshop.
- The Grammar Workshop presents detailed grammar charts and provides practice on the two grammar points introduced in the unit.
- The Reading Workshop offers an extra reading text related to the unit theme as well as a focus on the main reading strategy featured in the unit, with related practice activities.
- The Writing Workshop includes an in-depth deconstruction of the text type featured in the unit, with related practice activities.
The Activity Book ends with a Reference Section including the charts for all the grammar points covered in the units, other grammar charts students may need, and an irregular verbs list of the most common verbs students use at the secondary level. The Reference Section serves as a valuable resource for students as they do activities or writing tasks.
Digital components that offer students even more interactivity!
The digital set for students comes with the print Activity Book and includes
- the digital version of the Activity Book
- multimedia content (audio and video clips)